Sunday, May 24, 2009

4 Months 24 -7 Later - A Collection is Taking Shape



Ok Buddies - here it is, the first cut of the JVT Collection for Adaptive Textiles. 18 classically hip patterns in three distinct colorways sure to fit your every need and desire! The suzani pattern was inspired by one of the first blogs I began reading years ago now - All the Best. Rhonda loves suzanis and ikats and I learned quite a bit from her blog about them.




This grouping is tentatively named happy because that's how I feel when I look at it. This whole "naming" thing is much harder than it seems. You want to give your creations names that are descriptive yet catchy without sounding cutesy or overly serious. Not an easy task....




The groupings are designed to mix well together with similar and contrasting colors. We are still working on ground cloth selection. There will be a generous helping of organic cottons along with a smattering of washed linens and linen cotton blends.





The corner piece of this group called Bouquet, is the Birds & Branches toile which was inspired by my friend Joni from Cote de Texas. I set out to design a fabric that captured her aesthetic and this is what came to life.




Choosing the colorways was extremely difficult. I whittled some patterns down from 10 colors to 3 or 4. The toile and damask will be available in the most colors as they are the most versatile patterns. I could have had a zillion colors - it's so hard to choose so few.




These choices were selected from well over 100 patterns and colorways. I feel so guilty about those who didn't make the cut. They have been abandoned and may never see the light of day! I'm not used to editing myself as you must know if you have my book! I just include everything.... Oh well, hopefully I will find some use for them in the future. Sorry my little babies.


This group is called Moon Flower - I don't know why, it just came to me when trying to describe the large floral design on the bamboo trellis. I love the geometric shapes in this group and I must upholster something in the zebra stripe immediately. Preferably a beautiful antique french chaise lounge for my boudoir!



This grouping owes it's inspiration to my long time blogging pal the uber talented Patricia Gray and the wizard of interior color blogger Toby Fairley. I have learned some seriously insightful lesson from both of their bodies of work and have tried to apply some of it here.



I can't wait to put the finishing touches on all of these and figure out what cloth they will be printed on. Jeanelle Dech of Adaptive Textiles and I met at the Window Fashions Expo to discuss new options for groundcloth and I can't wait to see what she sends me. The pattern is only as good as the cloth it's printed on!

If you are reading this post, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, comment and give me some feedback on the designs that I have chosen. Which is your favorite? Which ones do you think still need some work? Which ones would you drop altogether? I would so appreciate any input you can give me. I really want to design a collection that is appealing to others besides myself - so I need your insight.. Don't be shy, tell me like it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment