Monday, September 3, 2007

Hello: My Name is Jackie and I am a Trim Slut.


As my close friends will tell you I am a self proclaimed Trim Slut. I love decorative trim in all of it's many shapes and forms and I will use it on just about anything. I've spent the last few weeks researching trim for my new Bedding book and I have noticed a dramatic change in the abundance of modernist designs. The decorative trim industry has been a bit slow to embrace the shift toward transitional and modernist decor but in recent months they seem to have taken on the challenge of designing trims to suit those styles.


Houles, one of the oldest and most revered passementerie makers has been known for their classic French designs and traditional motifs. Their new collections are quite a departure from the norm. They incorporate sleek design with up to date colors to produce stunning results.


Simplicity and basic geometric shapes are used to produce classic silhouettes. As always their quality of workmanship is exemplary.




Another French manufacturer Van Lathem Inc. takes a more playful approach to contemporary design. The use feathers, glass beads, even aluminum tassel fobs to produce products that will blend in with today's designs.



A domestic company that I use often, d'KEi Incorporated , has embraced alternative design to produce a large selection of modern and whimsical elements.


Traditional medallions or buttons are given a fresh new perspective.



Beads, ribbons, crystal, and even knotted macramé cording create unique tassels and tie backs that fit todays design parameters.




Robert Allen has a varied selection of transitional styles. I especially like their flat tapes which are great for use on bedding and pillows.



Using trim when designing for a contemporary or modern environment can be challenging. With the new styles being offered by the trim industry, that job is getting s bit easier.

No comments:

Post a Comment